[scribus] The Problem of Uneven Lines in Columns

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon May 30 22:29:58 UTC 2011

hi stephen,

a late answer...

> Reference:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Working_with_text_frames#The_Problem_of_Uneven_Lines_in_Columns
>

> Here's an idea on solving this issue.
>
> Give each text frame it's own internal baseline grid for the majority
> line spacing its text has.
>
> This way, each text frame can have it's own line spacing. Forcing all
> the text frames in your doc to have the same is a bit of an issue when
> you would like to "compress" certain frames for certain pages.
>
> I rarely see paragraphs in a frame that have different spacings to one
> another, this is the only complication I foresee. In this case the
> internal grid needs to have lines for each uses spacing and then
> choose the write one for the right condition.

this won't work... at least not for me.
i only need the baseline grid to make lines even across frames!

> Anyway, other DTP apps having been getting away with it since the
> stone age, so it's doable.
>
> You guys have any ideas?

i don't know how other DTP solve this, but i agree that having multiple baseline grids in a document would be really welcome.

the question is: how to implement it!

a long time ago, i proposed to allow drawing several baseline grids on the page (or, probably better: on a master page).

i'm not sure anymore that it's really a good idea...

however. the discussion is here:

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=586

ciao
a.l.e