[scribus] Scribus, Fedora, and SXSW

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 12 07:38:10 CET 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 00:18:04 -0500
Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> dijo:

>On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 04:08 +0000, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> I am confused. Isn't that a Suse repository? From the Scribus wiki I
>> find:
>
>It's not - I think he may have a SuSE specific repo too, but the SuSE
>builder service does builds for Fedora too. (very awesome)
>>
>> RedHat/Fedora - The preferred method is to use the versions from
>> mrdocs' repository. This repository includes both i586 and x86_64
>> RPMs for recent versions of Fedora, along with RPMs for Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux. For those who may be mainly familiar with YUM,
>> download the RPM of your choice, then as root: rpm -ivh
>> scribus-version-as-chosen.
>>
>> But the wiki doesn't say how to enable the mrdocs repository in
>> Fedora. It is not listed in the standard Fedora repositories so I
>> can't just click on it in Yumex. Or have I completely misunderstood
>> the process?
>
>He has a repo file here,
>
>http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_14/home:mrdocs.repo
>
>You can, as root, wget that repo file into /etc/yum.repos.d and when
>you do a yum update it should just work. I'm not familiar with Yumex...
>would it be of help to write a little tutorial on setting up his repo
>on Fedora?
>
>(I'd be happy to write it..)

It would be helpful. A lot of DTPers on Linux are just desktop users
who need details about how to do stuff. I know how to wget if I have
the address, and I suppose I can move the file to /etc/yum/repos.d

As for Yumex, it is most like Synaptic on Debian systems, but not quite
as fully featured. When it is launched it always goes out to check for
updates. There is also a simpler Software Updates app that does the
same thing, but only checks updates.

At the moment I have 1.3.9.