[scribus] SVG files: can I force a refresh or reload?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 16:30:34 UTC 2011

On 06/27/2011 12:38 AM, Barry McKenna wrote:
> I have a two page .sla file, each page with 7 SVG imported files. (.sla
> = 46MB)
>
> I had to perform some minor editing before actually loading each file,
> and then each file had to be positioned exactly on x and y in the
> Properties dialog.
>
> It took me about two hours to finish the task.
>
> About 2/3 of the way through, I realized that the title text for each
> SVG needed to have its x-pos slightly adjusted.
>
> I presumed that after completely loading and positioning all 14 SVG
> files, and then saving and closing the .sla file, that I could then go
> back and edit the SVG files title's x-pos for the first 2/3rds which had
> the earlier title text x-pos, and that my problem would be solved
> because - and this is the catch, I guess - we all know that when we open
> an .sla file that has graphics, the .sla is relying on the graphics
> files being in the same directory that they were originally loaded from.
>
> Right?
>
> So, I presumed that when I re-opened the Scribus .sla file that
> referenced the SVG files, that it would reload them - now with required
> slight editing - from the original directory, and the editing of the SVG
> files would be reflected in the re-opened Scribus .sla file.
>
> But, unfortunately, even though the SVG files have been edited, the
> re-opened Scribus file is still reflecting the original x-pos for SVG's
> title text.
>
> So, now my first question is, is there a different treatment with SVG
> files, such as that they actually get stored in the .sla file and they
> are not referenced to the original directory that they are originally
> imported from, like importing a .png or a .jpg into a frame?
>
> ...or what?
>
> Is there a way that I can get the .sla file to reflect the edits to the
> SVG's text x-pos without deleting them all and then spending another
> hour and half re-opening them and positioning them?
>
> (This is not a complaint: if I have to, I have to. But if the SVGs are
> actually stored in the .sla file, unlike other graphics formats, then
> that should probably be identified in the wiki and the next edition of
> the manual, that is, if it's not already there somewhere, and I just
> haven't located it...)

as a.l.e says, this is perhaps more like importing elements from another
Scribus file than like an image into an image frame. It's hard to know
where documentation would help this misunderstanding. Just because
documentation exists doesn't mean it will be read. We have a number of
questions here on the mail list that would be easily answered by
consulting the online manual.

I think what I would do would be to note the X-Pos, Y-Pos of the
imported SVG, delete it, then reimport to the same position. If I was
anxious about this, I would create a copy of the SLA and work with that.

The SVG editing tools may be not quite up to snuff for inveterate
Inkscape users, yet are quite versatile -- I actually prefer the Scribus
way of managing nodes in some instances. Really, one of the reasons for
importing an SVG or other vector graphic into Scribus is to be able to
edit it within Scribus in a variety of ways.

Greg