[scribus] SVG files: can I force a refresh or reload?

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Mon Jun 27 17:08:46 UTC 2011

On 6/27/2011 9:30 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 12:38 AM, Barry McKenna wrote:
>> I have a two page .sla file, each page with 7 SVG imported
>> files. (.sla
>> = 46MB)

<snip>

> as a.l.e says, this is perhaps more like importing elements
> from another Scribus file than like an image into an image
> frame. It's hard to know where documentation would help this
> misunderstanding. Just because documentation exists doesn't
> mean it will be read. We have a number of questions here on
> the mail list that would be easily answered by consulting
> the online manual.
>
> I think what I would do would be to note the X-Pos, Y-Pos of
> the imported SVG, delete it, then reimport to the same
> position. If I was anxious about this, I would create a copy
> of the SLA and work with that.
>
> The SVG editing tools may be not quite up to snuff for
> inveterate Inkscape users, yet are quite versatile -- I
> actually prefer the Scribus way of managing nodes in some
> instances. Really, one of the reasons for importing an SVG
> or other vector graphic into Scribus is to be able to edit
> it within Scribus in a variety of ways.
>
> Greg

Greg, thanks for the inference of editing the SVG:

I found that by selecting the object and then Ungroup, most
of the elements were ungrouped.

The title text was not, but by first deselecting the whole
group and then selecting just the whole line of text by
wrapping the cursor around the group of title text elements
with the mouse - sections were in different colors - and
then Ungroup again, the title text elements were accessible
to be moved, sized, etc. I also noticed that the colors were
accessible in the color section of the Properties dialog.

I also re-read the manual and noticed that on p.125, it
recommends that the text be converted to outline on
exporting the SVG.

I haven't explored how to convert my text to outlines yet.
However, all of my text in the SVG files (combination of
text and vector graphics) imports perfectly to Scribus, and
again perfectly to pdf, so it may not be necessary to
convert the text to outlines

Barry