[scribus] epub from sla? or Scribus versus Lyx

Alexandre Leray newsletters at alexandreleray.com
Fri Jun 24 08:26:55 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 09:40 PM, Lila Pagola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess this is a topic very well known by everybody in this list, but
> I was searching at list's archives and with Google, and I can't find
> real answers, and that's probably I'm doing the wrong question: Is it
> possible to get a acceptable version in epub format, from a Scribus
> design, or its pdf?
>
> I have being designing books with Scribus since several years, and
> many people related to the projects have recommended me to use Lyx
> instead of Scribus, specially regarding to its capability to easily
> export outputs for different devices.
>
> What do you think?
> Thanks in advance for any help,

Hi Lila,

You could also investigate a program called pandoc which is about format
conversion.

http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

 >>> Pandoc can read markdown and (subsets of) reStructuredText,
textile, HTML, and LaTeX, and it can write plain text, markdown,
reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, PDF, RTF, DocBook XML,
OpenDocument XML, ODT, GNU Texinfo, MediaWiki markup, textile, groff man
pages, Emacs org-mode, EPUB ebooks, and S5 and Slidy HTML slide shows.
PDF output (via LaTeX) is also supported with the included markdown2pdf
wrapper script.

A friend of mine is typesetting is documents in markdown, a light markup
language easier to type than HTML, and is able to produce documents in
different formats such as ConText/LaTex, PDF or HTML.

Alex