[scribus] The never-ending quest for a stable version

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Sun Jun 19 00:54:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Andrew Fountain <andrew at writeup.org> wrote:

> Back in 2007, the next stable verision was going to be 1.3.6
>
> > 1.3.4 will not ever be a "stable" version. Soon, it will be superseded
> > by 1.3.5, which will also be considered developmental.
> > While as I understand it technically the next stable version beyond the
> > 1.3.3.x series will be 1.3.6, this will not be for some time. On a
> > practical level what is likely to happen is that with time we will see
> > most of the 1.3.5 bugs taken care of, more users report good results
> > with it, and the late 1.3.5cvs versions should be unofficially pretty
> > stable, yet not labeled as such. Then comes the announcement that the
> > developmental 1.3.5cvs has morphed like a butterfly into 1.3.6.
> >
> > If you scan the Scribus Archives, you will see ample evidence against
> > using 1.3.4 for production work at this time.
> >
> > Greg
>
> quoted from:
> http://lists.scribus.info/pipermail/scribus/2007-June/034459.html
>

> By 2010 it was 1.4 that we were waiting for
>
> > i don't think that the version number needs any explaination anymore.
> >
> > it's an anomalous situation and, as soon as 1.4 will be out, everything
> > will be ok again.
> >
> > what you need to know is:
> >
> > - each scribus version get a number 1.x.y.
> > - if x is even it's a stable version
> > - if x is odd it's a development version
> > - y is a sequence of minor bug fixes (and small improvements)
> >
> > on top of it:
> > - 1.3.3.14 is a stable version (and is an exception).
> > - 1.3.8 and 1.3.9 are the unstable version which will lead -- as soon as
> > possible -- to the next stable version: 1.4.
> >
> > - 1.5.x is where the development version

> > hope that helps
> > a.l.e
>
> quoted from:
> http://lists.scribus.info/pipermail/scribus/2010-October/039647.html
>
> Now it appears that 1.4 will be yet another development version and 1.5
> will be the stable version. Or will it? Maybe by then we will be
> waiting for 1.6?
> Can someone clarify?
> --Andrew F.

I do not understand the concern over which is the stable version.  It seems
to me that the result of new development happening all the time is better
and greater features.  I really can't care less what the version number is
so long as the developers continue working on this great product.

At a board meeting last weekend, the members asked me when I was going to
let them know how much the software for publishing the magazine was going to
cost.  They had given me a pretty much unlimited budget for purchasing
software needed to produce the magazine.  I have now produced 3 quarterly
issues and they have not spent anything at all.  They were pretty much
flabbergasted when I told them not to expect to spend money for software as
I was using Linux.

Since most of them are Windoze users, they just cannot understand how this
can be.  But, in my opinion, what is even better, is that I have the ability
to offer feedback to the developers who will add to the usability and
reliability of Scribus.

So, pump out all the version numbers you care to release and I'll buy into
them all.  It definitely benefits me!
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*