[scribus] Finding Document Fonts

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 12:41:20 UTC 2011

On 06/13/2011 10:52 PM, Owen wrote:
>> I am not certain that this is the exact same problem, but one that has
>> always annoyed me:
>>
>> Being rather lazy, if I am creating a new document, I will often open
>> an old existing one that is rather similar to the one I want to
>> create.  I guess that when I first started to use Scribus, I had the
>> font "Arab" installed, and it was selected as the default.  I no
>> longer have it on my system, so whenever I open older existing
>> documents (or newer ones based upon the old ones), it starts out by
>> saying that it wants to substitute "Arab" with something else (I tend
>> to use Arial).
>>
>> Now, this is a minor nuisance, and I thought, "Arab must still exist
>> somewhere in the document, but where is it?"
>>
>> Following one of the suggestions posted in this thread, I opened the
>> .sla file with a text editor. The only place in the file where "Arab"
>> occurs is near the first line after "DFONT". I changed that instance
>> to Arial then saved the file. Now when I open the document I no longer
>> have to go through that substitution step.
>>
>> I thought this might be helpful for anyone else who has gone through
>> this process.
>

> You can set the default font like this.
>
> 1.  Start Scribus without making a new docoment
> 2.  File->Preferences->Tools
> 3.  Set the default font
>
> Now when you create a new document, DFONT will be the font you set
> above, and will stay that way forever and a day unless you change it.

My experience is that it's not this simple. You might think that this
will work, but it seems to me that once you have created a text frame
with a particular default font, that font will "stick", regardless of
what you do in Preferences or Document Settings. So really, Murray's
suggestion is the only sure way to truly eliminate that font from the
SLA file.

For subsequent new documents, of course, it's a different story.

Greg