[scribus] 600 dpi [svg]

Meho R. mehor at gmx.com
Wed Jun 8 09:54:11 UTC 2011

On 08.06.2011 01:30, Barry McKenna wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 4:01 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>> The logo I wanted to include in my document was in a
>>> vector format, SVG,
>>> but Scribus didn't seem to want to deal with it, so I
>>> rasterized it as a
>>> 600x600 PNG. Is there some better way I could have handled
>>> this?
>>>
>> This is what I would do also, perhaps an even higher dpi
>> than this.
>>
>> Greg
>
> Actually, I would encourage Scribus users to *always* use svg graphics
> whenever they can.
>
> First, use the validator, to make sure the code format is correct:
>
> http://validator.w3.org/
>
> I've been following the progress of Scribus for a few years now,
> originally with my primary need to import eps (simple line) graphics
> and text.
>
> When I found out that Scribus supported svg and my initial tests with
> Inkscape showed that one of my vector graphic formats generated in
> svg, rather than eps, was much, much clearer and smoother, I began to
> finalize output format for one of my graphic types.
>
> Despite some comments about how Scribus might not handle the text
> portion of svg files properly, I have had no  problem, except when it
> came to attempting to use unicode private use area characters.
>
> while Inkscape may not be a perfect output yet for svg - I can't say,
> because I generate my own svg files, which are simply xml text - use
> of the w3c literature combined with the w3c validator can result in
> graphics files that are simply perfect, in terms of totally smooth
> vectors.
>
> The literature at w3c is a bit obtuse at times, but with the
> validator, I found my way.
>
> Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) 1.1 (Second Edition)
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
>
> Barry
I also use SVG whenever I can, especially since Inkscape's export to PDF
is even less reliable than to SVG (e.g., it happens that some PDF
viewers do not display it at all, or display just partial black-white
gradient instead of graphics). But when I do use PDF produced by
Inkscape, I always run it through LaTeX prior to including it into SLA
document (as vector, of course). PDF created this way is displayed
perfectly in all PDF viewers.

M.