[scribus] 600 dpi [svg]

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Tue Jun 7 23:30:25 UTC 2011

On 6/7/2011 4:01 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
<snip>

>> The logo I wanted to include in my document was in a
>> vector format, SVG,
>> but Scribus didn't seem to want to deal with it, so I
>> rasterized it as a
>> 600x600 PNG. Is there some better way I could have handled
>> this?
>>
> This is what I would do also, perhaps an even higher dpi
> than this.
>
> Greg

Actually, I would encourage Scribus users to *always* use
svg graphics whenever they can.

First, use the validator, to make sure the code format is
correct:

http://validator.w3.org/

I've been following the progress of Scribus for a few years
now, originally with my primary need to import eps (simple
line) graphics and text.

When I found out that Scribus supported svg and my initial
tests with Inkscape showed that one of my vector graphic
formats generated in svg, rather than eps, was much, much
clearer and smoother, I began to finalize output format for
one of my graphic types.

Despite some comments about how Scribus might not handle the
text portion of svg files properly, I have had no  problem,
except when it came to attempting to use unicode private use
area characters.

while Inkscape may not be a perfect output yet for svg - I
can't say, because I generate my own svg files, which are
simply xml text - use of the w3c literature combined with
the w3c validator can result in graphics files that are
simply perfect, in terms of totally smooth vectors.

The literature at w3c is a bit obtuse at times, but with the
validator, I found my way.

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) 1.1 (Second Edition)
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

Barry