[scribus] getting tiffs

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Tue Jun 7 00:33:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Cindy Lantier <cindy at lantier.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to load both images. The smaller image loads fine; the larger image
> crashed Scribus three times. I took it into an image editing program and
> reduced the size (so that it was the same size as the one that does load)
> and it worked great.
>
> I'm running Scribus 1.4.0.rc4 on Windows 7 -- an AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.00
> GHz) with 4 gigs of ram.
>
> Hope that helped someone!
>
> Cindy

onto a Scribus page, export the page to a pdf, and print the pdf on my local
printer.  Mind you, it took a while for the huge image to load into the
selection dialog box that displays the image before selecting and a fair
about of time to load into the image frame.  However, at no time did my
machine OS (Ubuntu 11.04) ever crash.  Meanwhile I had a ton of stuff open
at the same time.  I have only 3GB of RAM.  Sounds as if the Windoze paging
file runs out of space whereas Linux uses different algorithm for paging
beyond RAM capability.  I cannot find a problem with the file albeit, I
cannot imagine a need for such a large image file.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
editor at sera.org

PS. It took longer to download the files from the crappy file sharing
location than it did to produce the printed pdf!