[scribus] getting tiffs

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jun 7 13:03:31 UTC 2011

On Monday, June 06, 2011 06:05:29 pm a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
> > still trying to solve the tiff prob...all tiffs i am using are 24
> > bit, no variation. Have uploaded some sample tiffs at:
> > http://www.filesonic.com/file/1145226294/will_load.tif
> > http://www.filesonic.com/file/1145226334/wont_load_(1).tif Hopefully
> > will be useful!! Thanks
>
> the image loads correctly here...
>
> not too much RAM (well, enough of it, but not so much), not a fast CPU
> either...
>
> but, well, some sort of linux and a distribution + window manager which
> leave all the process power for the applications needing it. (ok, i have
> admit that i was looking a film in a flash application and gimp was also
> open...)
>
> we have had some issues with people failing to load big images in
> windows... i wonder if scribus has a problem there...
>
> ... or if it would be easier if people started to switch to linux because
> it's simply better... at least for loading big images into scribus...
>

> can anybody using windows also try to load the image?
>
> and, you, do you really need such a big image?
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

I tried to download the files but got "Bad magic number" on both. The files
were not large but had a tiff suffix. Clearly a download and not a Scribus
problem.

It is possible to put Knoppix (a Debian variant) on a flash drive of sufficent
capacity. In general Linux of some flavor is a more reliable base for Open
source programs such as Scribus. MSWindows is however much better for playing
games and running commercial software like InDesign.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press