[scribus] Printing as Spread

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Mon Jul 25 11:28:44 UTC 2011

Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at ...> writes:

> 2011/7/22 Andreas Vox <avox at ...>
> > My estimate is it would take me 1-2 days to implement this for PDF export
> > (no
> > imposition but just a simple yes/no option resp. the signature size for
> > booklets)
> >

> Andreas,
>
> Many thanks for this estimate.
>
> Just so I get it completely, what does "resp." mean?

For n-folds it's just yes/no, for longer twosided documents you could have
yes, no, or a multiple of 4 for booklet printing (ie. 4-1-2-3 page reordering).
The "yes" options for normal documents would output spreads like _-1 2-3 4-5
6-7 8-_)

> Do you mean that 3 or more pages could be printed side by side as we expect
> in 3-fold and 4-fold?

Yes.

> Does that mean that in your view the "spread" option has to be done after
> the PDF embedding is finished? Or can they be done separately and combined
> afterwards?

No, the current code for PDF embedding provides all we need for imposition.
The actual code would probably not depend on the PDF embedding code but would
be similar to it.

> > Implementing the same for Postscript would take longer.

> At first glance, I believe that taking care of the PDF is already something
> and we can leave the Postscript file aside.

Yes, I also would give PS output a low priority.

/Andreas