[scribus] Printing as Spread

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 16:25:30 UTC 2011

On 07/22/2011 10:56 AM, Andreas Vox wrote:
> Louis Desjardins<louis.desjardins at ...>  writes:
>
>> The other thing I would like to find out is the coding effort in time.
>>
>> Once we know the coding time required, we will then have to ask ourselves
>> what particular coding skills does that imply. Then we could decide whether
>> it's worth the effort or not considering all the other specific requirements
>> that are also worth digging.
>>
>> The initial question raised in this thread still remains to be answered.
>>

> My estimate is it would take me 1-2 days to implement this for PDF export (no
> imposition but just a simple yes/no option resp. the signature size for booklets)
>
> Output would be a PDF where the page size is the sum of the combined pages.
> Bleed etc. would be clipped where two pages meet.
>
> For PDF export the code is very similar to PDF embedding, so it would be
> a good idea to combine it when we finish PDF embedding.
>
> Implementing the same for Postscript would take longer.

I guess the biggest question I have about this is the utility of this
feature, as opposed to making a "regular" PDF and then using Adobe
Reader to print in n-up mode.
Can a commercial printer make use of such an output? I perceive
opportunities for confusion on the users' part as far as what is a good
sort of PDF to output, or whether they think they have actually created
the sort that they thought they did.

Greg