[scribus] Freeze in Style editor.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jul 13 15:45:57 UTC 2011

I call up Scribus 1.4.0 RC whatever from the command line.
In the style editor I create some paragraph styles.

When I create a style named "Chapter" it jumps to the top
of the paragraph style tree and the Default Paragraph style
becomes subordinate to Chapter. This is improper. A
default style cannot be subordinate to another style. I get
a message to that effect in the terminal window from which
I started Scribus. And Scribus hangs when I try to save it.

The solution is of course to make sure that when creating a
new paragraph style in the Style Menu a lower level
paragraph is highlighted before hitting the "New " button.

This is easy to avoid once you know the trick. It cost me
two days work before I discovered it. But I suggest that if
the Style Menu were initialized with the highlighting on
e.g., Default Paragraph then all new paragraph styles would
automatically be subordinate to Default Paragraph and the
problem would never occur. Actually having a hierarchy of
paragraph styles at all is probably a nice-to-have rather
than a got-to-have. A simple one level list would suffice.
But will probably lose that argument.

While I am on my high horse let me suggest another
improvement to the Style Menu. The list of choices are
Character
Line
Paragraph

I suspect that the paragraph choice is used 98% of the
time. So it should be the first choice, not the last.
--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural:
http://www.deathworeblack.com/