[scribus] Freeze in Style editor.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jul 13 16:17:58 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:45:57 am John Culleton
wrote:
> I call up Scribus 1.4.0 RC whatever from the command
line.
> In the style editor I create some paragraph styles.
>
> When I create a style named "Chapter" it jumps to the top
> of the paragraph style tree and the Default Paragraph
style
> becomes subordinate to Chapter. This is improper. A
> default style cannot be subordinate to another style. I
get
> a message to that effect in the terminal window from
which
> I started Scribus. And Scribus hangs when I try to save
it.

> The solution is of course to make sure that when creating
> new paragraph style in the Style Menu a lower level
> paragraph is highlighted before hitting the "New "
button.

> This is easy to avoid once you know the trick. It cost me
> two days work before I discovered it. But I suggest that
if
> the Style Menu were initialized with the highlighting on
> e.g., Default Paragraph then all new paragraph styles
would
> automatically be subordinate to Default Paragraph and the
> problem would never occur.

It is worse than I thought. The "Based On" field on the
first (properties) subscreen must be filled in. Otherwise
the hierarchical order jumps around and the error occurs.

This could be cured by having the "Based On" field default
to "Default Paragraph Style" instead of to blank.

The second subscreen has a similar "Based on" field but it
only offers choices of blank or default. So it could be
eliminated altogether for paragraph styles.

Now it is 2.5 days wasted on this peculiarity. The "Based
on" field on the properties subscreen must always have a
value. Gemy does not mention this. 1.3.3.x did not have the
subordination of styles so "The Scribus Manual" did not
mention it.

If my above analysis is correct I will file a bug or
feature or whatever report. Comments requested.
--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural:
http://www.deathworeblack.com/