[scribus] Buggy Software!

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 12 15:15:28 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:14:08 am Casey Daniels wrote:
> I used to use MS publisher, sure it was better than
Scribus in some
> respects,  but in most respects I think Scribus is a
superior program.
> You can't beat the price either.  If you are worried
about it crashing
> so much, why not down grade to one of the stable
releases?

I have used many versions of Scribus over the years and did
not find them to be buggy. Even the bleeding edge version,
1.5.0 is useful.

But I run Linux. I have noted over the years that many Open
Source programs have problems with various versions of Mac
OS. Usually the Linux and Win versions are in the best
shape simply because more people use them for Open Source
and thus any bugs get squashed earlier. The great virtue of
Open Source programs is that the users have a direct route
to the developers. Commercial firms may have their corps of
"testers" but these are likely to be experienced users. It
is the newbie who is likely to try something bizarre, and
hence shake out an undiscovered bug.

MS Publisher (old version) was IMO perhaps the worst layout
program ever offered by a major vendor. I understand that
the newer version is improved, but not many folks are
trying it, given its history.

For book interiors the top programs are InDesign
(commercial) and TeX (free). I tend to use TeX (either
pdftex or Context, rarely pdflatex) for most of my work and
yes, I lay out and index books for money.  Scribus is
respectable, but I can get the job done faster in TeX.
However I have been doing TeX since the mid 1990's so
unfamiliarity with the many features of Scribus is
certainly a factor in my case.  My current project I will
do both ways, and see how long each version takes.

For book covers there is no argument. Scribus is the most
efficient tool, and the 1.5.0 version will even do
PDF X/1-a format as required by some important printers. I
even wrote an e-book "Create Book Covers with Scribus", but
the e-book other than the cover was done in pdftex.

I should emphasize that my problems  with Scribus interiors
are not due to bugs as such but clumsiness in handling
needed features, like TOC, index, chapter headings and so
on. One of my sayings is that you can do anything with any
software tool if you put in enough time and effort. It is
time and effort that are key.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters