[scribus] Really basic questions

Ken Springer romanemporer at dishmail.net
Sat Jan 29 05:04:13 CET 2011

I hadn't thought about doing that, as I hadn't stumbled onto that ability in
Scribus.  I'll remember it, though.

I was also having so much trouble getting the text to do what I wanted, I
finally gave up and did it in Open Office.  And I needed to get it done, I
was running out of time.  In 30 minutes I had the layout I wanted.  Kept
changing colors and editing text, but I would have done that with Scribus
too.

Hopefully, when I get a couple more projects done, I can come back and try
to finish it.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG <kj4ufg at sera.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On 01/27/2011 05:37 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
> >
> >  2.  Is there a way to vertically justify text in a text frame?
> >>

> > No. This is still a manual operation. So far has proven hard to
> implement,
> > considering the frames environment of Scribus. If you are not making the
> > border of the frame visible, the frame space is rather arbitrary.
> > AFAIK, when you consider the variables of font size, linespacing, and so
> > forth, Scribus doesn't really know how much space there is below several
> > lines of text.
> >
> > Greg
>

> With respect to your second question, I offer this that you may already
> know.  If you have text in a frame, you may click on Properties of the
> frame
> and then go to the Text bar within the Properties dialog.  Under the Text
> bar ("bar" for want of a more correct term) you will find adjustments for
> Top, Bottom Right and Left.  I use the Top adjustment frequently to move an
> article down in the frame to separate it from a frame that may be close
> above or just to vertically justify the text, visually, in the frame.  Left
> and right also work great for adding space between a frame and the text or
> just visually justifying the text in a frame.  However the latter is
> probably more easily done with the Justify button in a style or in the text
> editor.  But, vertical justification I prefer to do visually as I find the
> best layout is frequently with a bit more space at the bottom than at the
> top.  That is a general rule of thumb I was taught when doing layout
> manually years ago.
> --
> John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
> Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
> Walkertown, NC  USA
> editor at sera.org

Ken Springer

"All progress depends upon the unreasonable person."
George Bernard Shaw

"Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for
cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!"
President William McKinley

http://www.greeleynet.com/~wordwork/airpage.htm<http://www.greeleynet.com/%7Ewordwork/airpage.htm>