[scribus] Really basic questions

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Jan 28 19:49:40 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>wrote:

> On 01/27/2011 05:37 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
>
>  2.  Is there a way to vertically justify text in a text frame?
>>

> No. This is still a manual operation. So far has proven hard to implement,
> considering the frames environment of Scribus. If you are not making the
> border of the frame visible, the frame space is rather arbitrary.
> AFAIK, when you consider the variables of font size, linespacing, and so
> forth, Scribus doesn't really know how much space there is below several
> lines of text.
>
> Greg

With respect to your second question, I offer this that you may already
know.  If you have text in a frame, you may click on Properties of the frame
and then go to the Text bar within the Properties dialog.  Under the Text
bar ("bar" for want of a more correct term) you will find adjustments for
Top, Bottom Right and Left.  I use the Top adjustment frequently to move an
article down in the frame to separate it from a frame that may be close
above or just to vertically justify the text, visually, in the frame.  Left
and right also work great for adding space between a frame and the text or
just visually justifying the text in a frame.  However the latter is
probably more easily done with the Justify button in a style or in the text
editor.  But, vertical justification I prefer to do visually as I find the
best layout is frequently with a bit more space at the bottom than at the
top.  That is a general rule of thumb I was taught when doing layout
manually years ago.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*