[scribus] Really basic questions

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 18:07:58 CET 2011

On 01/27/2011 05:37 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
> I'm starting my first project, and it's very simple.  But before I get into
> it very far, a couple of really basic questions.
>
> I'm running Scribus 1.3.9 on an Intel Mac, OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard.  But, I
> also have a Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate computers available to me.
> And someday, Ubuntu Linux.
>
> 1.  Is there available somewhere, a program that will let me print the
> entire online help pages?  I could open and print each URL, but that sure
> does take a long time to do it manually.
No, not really.
The main thing I would suggest is to scan through the pages and see
which ones are really needed. I would think that mostly those in Scribus
Basics will be the ones you will actually need and use. Once you point
your browser (outside of Scribus) to the correct directory, you should
be able to open the various files in tabs to speed up the process.

> My knowledge of Linux terminology is very minimal at this point, so I would
> appreciate it if those who reply try to do "English for Dummies"!!!   LOL

Uh, yeah.

> 2.  Is there a way to vertically justify text in a text frame?

No. This is still a manual operation. So far has proven hard to
implement, considering the frames environment of Scribus. If you are not
making the border of the frame visible, the frame space is rather
arbitrary.
AFAIK, when you consider the variables of font size, linespacing, and so
forth, Scribus doesn't really know how much space there is below several
lines of text.

Greg