[scribus] Error with pdftops

Ian "Witty" Whitfield editor at federalsaints.net
Mon Jan 17 16:42:53 CET 2011

> I posted
>
>> I guess no one has any idea about the error I'm getting with pdftops
>> as I reported in Vol 34, No 51!!??
>>
>> I got one reply from a guy in Holland I wrote to who thinks it may be
>> a corruption of the pfd file caused by ver1.3.9 - I'm not sure about
>> this and I can't remember if I was using 1.3.8 or 1.3.9 before.
>>
>> Any thoughts or comments from anyone on this one?
>

> Joe replied
>
>> Many of us get this as individual emails, not as a digest.  Maybe if
>> you were to give us a few details, somebody might have an idea.
>
> Hi Joe - this was my original post....
>
> Hi All
>
> I've just been finishing off my Monthly Journal produced in Scribus
> 1.3.9 and the last step is to reduce the PDF file size using 'pdftops'
> and 'ps2pdf' as discussed before on this Forum. It has worked for the
> past 2 or 3 months for me and I even went back and compressed all my
> past issues for this year.
>
> Today - using the same commands as before I get the following whole
> string of errors...
>
> small selection...
>
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "gaf" of "arabic_gaf_bar" in
> parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "arabic" of "arabic_dot" in
> parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "dot" of "arabic_dot" in
> parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "arabic" of "arabic_2dots"
> in parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "2dots" of "arabic_2dots" in
> parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "arabic" of "arabic_3dots"
> in parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "3dots" of "arabic_3dots" in
> parseCharName
> Error: Could not parse ligature component "arabic" of "arabic_3dots_a"
> in parseCharNam
>
> Anyone got any idea what is going on please???
>
> Thanks
Just had another idea today.... I copied the pdf file from Scribus to my
second machine that is running Mint 9 KDE. So a "different" OpSys on a
different machine. I then ran the pdftops command there and got exactly
the same errors!!

So it has to be something to do with the pdf file itself!!

Maybe the guy in Holland was right!!

Ian Whitfield.
Scribus 1.3.9 & Kubuntu 10.04