[scribus] Spell check

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 03:36:19 CET 2011

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 22:56:41 +0100
Tornóci László <torlasz at net.sote.hu> dijo:

>Yes, I can confirm that (Fedora 14, x86_64, Scribus 1.3.9). But you
>need not only 'aspell', but the aspell dictionary package as well (for
>English language 'aspell-en'). I had 'aspell' without 'aspell-en' and
>Scribus kept crashing on me every time I pressed F7. Now it works. You
>can check what you have by this command: rpm -qa|grep spell

Thanks. That is the bit I was missing. The default installation of
Fedora 14 x86_64 installed aspell, but curiously did not install any
dictionaries. After installing aspell-en I now have the spell checker
at the bottom of the list in the Item button.

However, it doesn't seem to work. The choice is grayed out when you are
actually editing text in canvas view, and is not available at all in
the story editor. The only time it can be selected is when the text
frame is selected, but not in edit mode. And then the spell checker
finds nothing wrong, even when I deliberately made some misspelled
words in the frame.