[scribus] Spell check

Tornóci László torlasz at net.sote.hu
Sat Jan 8 22:56:41 CET 2011

On 01/07/2011 06:42 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 12:33 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:36:44 -0500
>> Gregory Pittman<gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:
>>
>>> AFAIK, I have all the right bits on Fedora 14, and it works there much
>>> like the Ubuntu users are saying -- brings up a dialog that mostly
>>> just sits there. If you poke at it, you may come up with various
>>> erroneous suggestions for things misspelled, missing other obvious
>>> spelling errors.
>>
>> I have 1.3.9 on Fedora 14, x86_64, and I can't even find the spell
>> checker. I looked all over, but apparently it's not there. I installed
>> it from the testing repo before Fedora put it into the regular repos.
>> But I always apply all updates every couple of days.
>>
>> Note that I do all my spell checking in OOo before placing the text in
>> Scribus, so it's not a big deal to me. I just thought I might help with
>> bug testing.
>>
>> Is it a separate package? If so, where do I get it, because I have
>> installed all the x86_64 packages listed in Yumex. If not, where did you
>> hide the button?
>

> this is an option when you are compiling.
>
> I find that in my Fedora standard 1.3.9 I still have the option, so it
> must depend on whether you have aspell on your system.

Yes, I can confirm that (Fedora 14, x86_64, Scribus 1.3.9). But you need
not only 'aspell', but the aspell dictionary package as well (for
English language 'aspell-en'). I had 'aspell' without 'aspell-en' and
Scribus kept crashing on me every time I pressed F7. Now it works. You
can check what you have by this command: rpm -qa|grep spell

Aspell works well for many Western languages, but it is simply
inadequate for some other funkier ones e.g. Hungarian. For this reason a
new spelling checker called 'hunspell' has been developed that supports
far more languages than 'aspell'. 'Hunspell' is available in all the
major linux distros, and Openoffice and many other open source programs
use 'Hunspell' as default now. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunspell

So I have 2 questions:

- why does Scribus use aspell instead of hunspell?
- is there a way to tell Scribus to use hunspell instead of aspell?

				Yours: Laszlo