[scribus] Washed out images in PDF printing to Adobe

Teodor-Toma Silvestru Muntean teodomas at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 18:09:05 CET 2011

Hi, Tom. If you allready have Acrobat pro, you have one better solution:
Export from Scribus to pdf 1.5, colors = for printer output
Open the document in AcrobatPro, choose file/export/export to PDF X, this wil open a utility window, in this window hit settings, new utility window open, you have radio buton  to choose pdx-1a, and other flavor. I recomand Traped key to set 'true' (i.e. this will keep overprint-black settings ) and ISO to sett 'US web coated (swop)' - but you will decide this is fitt your needs.
sorry for my english, if my I'm not realy clear

What I meant was that when I click on the File menu, then click on the Print
command on the file menu, select Adobe PDF as the printer (Adobe Acrobat 9
Pro is installed on my Windows machine), and choose the PDF/X-1a:2001
profile as an option, the PDF that is produced contains washed out images.

When I click on the File menu, select Export command, and the Save AS PDF
option,  the images in the PDF that is produced are sharp and clear. When I
open one of the images that was placed in the Scribus document with GIMP and
print it to a PDF using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, the PDF that is created is
sharp and clear.

I purchase Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro because I didn't think Adobe Acrobat was able
to create PDFs, just read them. If I was wrong, I may have wasted some
money.

The need to create output in PDF/X-1a:2001 format is the reason I use Adobe
Acrobat 9 Pro. Because the Windows version of Scribus does not yet Export
PSFs to this standard, I need to get Scribus and Adobe Acrobat to work
together properly.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax