[scribus] Washed out images in PDF printing to Adobe

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Jan 2 17:12:50 CET 2011

On Sunday 02 January 2011 10:40:02 Tom wrote:
> When you say that you "print to Adobe Acrobat" it's not clear to me
> what you mean. You mean that export to PDF from Scribus, then open
> up in Acrobat?
>
> Also, do you mean Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader (formerly known as
> Adobe Acrobat Reader)?
>
> Greg
>
> What I meant was that when I click on the File menu, then click on
> the Print command on the file menu, select Adobe PDF as the printer
> (Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro is installed on my Windows machine), and
> choose the PDF/X-1a:2001 profile as an option, the PDF that is
> produced contains washed out images.
>
> When I click on the File menu, select Export command, and the Save
> AS PDF option,  the images in the PDF that is produced are sharp
> and clear. When I open one of the images that was placed in the
> Scribus document with GIMP and print it to a PDF using Adobe
> Acrobat 9 Pro, the PDF that is created is sharp and clear.
>
> I purchase Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro because I didn't think Adobe Acrobat
> was able to create PDFs, just read them. If I was wrong, I may have
> wasted some money.
>
> The need to create output in PDF/X-1a:2001 format is the reason I
> use Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. Because the Windows version of Scribus
> does not yet Export PSFs to this standard, I need to get Scribus
> and Adobe Acrobat to work together properly.
>
> Tom Benjey
> 717-258-9733 voice
> 717-243-0074 fax
> Twitter: @TomBenjey

The only version of Scribus to offer the PDF X/1-a:2001 output is the
experimental version 1.5.0. The only way for me and thee to get this
version is to download the sources and compile it. Windows is a less
friendly environment for this process than Linux, in particular
Slackware Linux, but it can be done.  You need to establish a
compiler, linker and the necessary libraries. You can as an
alternative set up  a Linux partition and use that for creating and
using 1.6.0.  The latter is probably less work.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: