[scribus] 1.4.0 RC1

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 03:44:31 CET 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 21:59:13 +0100
Peter Linnell <mrdocs at scribus.info> dijo:

>>> I am sure that the problem lies with Fedora. When 1.3.9 was
>>> released I was able to install it from updates-testing right away.
>>> But they seem to have misplaced the 1.4.0 RC1 package.

>> Fedora has a bit of a patchy track record on inclusion of new
>> versions, and especially with Scribus. In the past, they were
>> including ones considered inadvisable (the dreaded 1.3.4, for
>> example).

>Well putting on my  packager's hat for a moment, I might be hesitant to
>bother with an release candidate for many reasons, including distro
>policy etc.
>
>That is one of several reasons, we make a substantial effort to provide
>updated rpms and .debs ourselves.
>
>And moreover, I think our track record on packaging is pretty good.
>I've not had any one shout at me "You broke my system!" From our
>packages :)

I am certainly not blaming Scribus, unless by chance someone
inadvertently forgot to send the package to Fedora. Even then, it would
be merely an understandable slipup.

Fedora got the 1.3.9 package into updates-testing right away, which is
why I am becoming annoyed with them for sitting on 1.4.0 RC1. Two days
ago I posted a question about this on the Fedora forums, and received
no response. I wish I knew who is in charge of the updates-testing
repository so I could ask them directly.

Then again, someone recently said here that 1.4.0 would be out fairly
soon, so maybe I should not worry about it. I'm not working on anything
at the moment, so I have no reason to be impatient. But it's like
Christmas, I can't wait to try out my new toy! Please Santa Claus,
hurry!

I suppose I could download the RPM and do a local-install. But my
understanding is that such packages are installed in my home folder and
available only to me. Also, I am not sure if such packages are flagged
by the Software Updates utility.