[scribus] 1.4.0 RC1

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Feb 23 17:31:16 CET 2011

On Tuesday 22 February 2011 21:44:31 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 21:59:13 +0100
>
> Peter Linnell <mrdocs at scribus.info> dijo:
> >>
> >> Fedora has a bit of a patchy track record on inclusion of new
> >> versions, and especially with Scribus. In the past, they were
> >> including ones considered inadvisable (the dreaded 1.3.4, for
> >> example).
> >
> >Well putting on my  packager's hat for a moment, I might be
> > hesitant to bother with an release candidate for many reasons,
> > including distro policy etc.
> >
> >That is one of several reasons, we make a substantial effort to
> > provide updated rpms and .debs ourselves.
> >
> >And moreover, I think our track record on packaging is pretty
> > good. I've not had any one shout at me "You broke my system!"
> > From our packages :)
>
> I am certainly not blaming Scribus, unless by chance someone
> inadvertently forgot to send the package to Fedora. Even then, it
> would be merely an understandable slipup.
>
> Fedora got the 1.3.9 package into updates-testing right away, which
> is why I am becoming annoyed with them for sitting on 1.4.0 RC1.
> Two days ago I posted a question about this on the Fedora forums,
> and received no response. I wish I knew who is in charge of the
> updates-testing repository so I could ask them directly.
>
> Then again, someone recently said here that 1.4.0 would be out
> fairly soon, so maybe I should not worry about it. I'm not working
> on anything at the moment, so I have no reason to be impatient. But
> it's like Christmas, I can't wait to try out my new toy! Please
> Santa Claus, hurry!
>
> I suppose I could download the RPM and do a local-install. But my
> understanding is that such packages are installed in my home folder
> and available only to me. Also, I am not sure if such packages are
> flagged by the Software Updates utility.

If you have a Debian based system then if you use rpms or tarballs to
get Scribus then that version of Scribus will probably not be listed
in the Debian  packaging system.

I use Slackware. The bad news is that I always end up compiling
Scribus from a tarball or svn. The good news is that I don't have to
wait on anyone to do a package, including a Slackware package.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: