[scribus] 1.4.0 RC1

Peter Linnell mrdocs at scribus.info
Sat Feb 19 21:59:13 CET 2011

On 02/19/2011 06:45 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 02/19/2011 12:11 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:21:58 +0100
>> Peter Linnell<mrdocs at scribus.info>  dijo:

>>> Correct. However, some folks like to use their native package manager
>>> for their distribution. Even someone like me who has all the
>>> development tools needed, I generally prefer even myself to use
>>> packages. The exceptions for me are Scribus and Fontmatrix.
>>>
>>> Moreover, not everyone has the knowledge of diagnosing failed compiles.
>>> Often the error messages are not exactly friendly to someone new to
>>> Linux..
>>>
>>> As for Scribus, I think the team as a whole does a really good job of
>>> releasing packages for all the platforms in a timely manner. Most of
>>> the time the MacOSX, Windows, Debian/Ubuntu and rpms are all ready at
>>> release time. Os/2 usually does not lag too often either. (Thanks
>>> Paul!)
>>
>> I am sure that the problem lies with Fedora. When 1.3.9 was released I
>> was able to install it from updates-testing right away. But they seem
>> to have misplaced the 1.4.0 RC1 package.
>
> Fedora has a bit of a patchy track record on inclusion of new versions,
> and especially with Scribus. In the past, they were including ones
> considered inadvisable (the dreaded 1.3.4, for example).
>
> Aside from the desirability to have the latest/greatest, those unwilling
> to compile simply should wait it out.
>
> Greg

Hi,

Well putting on my  packager's hat for a moment, I might be hesitant to
bother with an release candidate for many reasons, including distro
policy etc.

That is one of several reasons, we make a substantial effort to provide
updated rpms and .debs ourselves.

And moreover, I think our track record on packaging is pretty good. I've
not had any one shout at me "You broke my system!" From our packages :)

Cheers,
Peter