[scribus] Need Arial, Times New Roman Font "equivalents" to look/print nice in PDF

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Feb 21 19:17:59 CET 2011

On Monday 21 February 2011 12:52:35 Rob Oakes wrote:
> Hi Drw,
>
> > The small 7 pt Arial fonts look bad.
>
> Can you elaborate? Why do they look bad? Is this on-screen or after
> you print them?
>
> > Currently, I am only using Times New Roman
> > and Arial TT. Could someone point me to equivalent fonts that
> > will look nice at any size and print well in a PDF?
>
> I personally don't care for either Arial or Times New Roman. I
> think they are significantly overused.
>
> If you have access to it, try substituting a version of Helvetica
> for Arial. If not, take a look at TeX Gyre Heros
> (http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/), use the OTF
> version. For Times New Roman, try substituting Termes (same link),
> again, use the OTF version.  Both fonts are available for free and
> can be used without restriction.
>
> While there, you may take a look and see if there is another
> typeface that suits your fancy.
>
> Another great location for free typefaces is the ADF foundry
> (http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/). Like in the case of TeX Gyre, all
> of the fonts are available under permissive licenses.
>
> I quite like Universalis, but it's probably closer to Futura than
> Helvetica/Arial.
>
> Best of luck in your project and I hope that these links might be
> of some help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob Oakes

I agree.

If you don't have narrow columns, as in a newspaper or magazine, Times
(New) Roman is a poor choice. First, the number of characters per line
will be more than is optimal. Second, because Times is the default for
MSWord it is easily recognizable as the product of an amateur
typographer. So I suggest something outside the Microsoft Windows
collection, such as Bitstream Charter, Minion, Adobe Garamond  or
Sabon.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: