[scribus] Need Arial, Times New Roman Font "equivalents" to look/print nice in PDF

Rob Oakes lyx-devel at oak-tree.us
Mon Feb 21 18:52:35 CET 2011

Hi Drw,

> The small 7 pt Arial fonts look bad.

Can you elaborate? Why do they look bad? Is this on-screen or after you print them?

> Currently, I am only using Times New Roman
> and Arial TT. Could someone point me to equivalent fonts that will
> look nice at any size and print well in a PDF?

I personally don't care for either Arial or Times New Roman. I think they are significantly overused.

If you have access to it, try substituting a version of Helvetica for Arial. If not, take a look at TeX Gyre Heros (http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/), use the OTF version. For Times New Roman, try substituting Termes (same link), again, use the OTF version.  Both fonts are available for free and can be used without restriction.

While there, you may take a look and see if there is another typeface that suits your fancy.

Another great location for free typefaces is the ADF foundry (http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/). Like in the case of TeX Gyre, all of the fonts are available under permissive licenses.

I quite like Universalis, but it's probably closer to Futura than Helvetica/Arial.

Best of luck in your project and I hope that these links might be of some help.

Cheers,

Rob Oakes