[scribus] Quotes.

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Sat Aug 6 19:51:21 UTC 2011

> On 08/06/2011 07:23 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
>> I suppose if you want quote marks that curve from the top in
>> toward the
>> quote on both ends there is more than one keystroke on each end
>> involved.  I
>> totally eschew those marks as tedious and a bit old fashioned, but
>> to each
>> his own.  Using them would slightly complicate the matter by
>> adding two more
>> keystrokes.
>
> Curly quotes are not 'old fashioned' at all. You see them rarely,
> but
> that's because dumb quotes (these: ' and ") are used instead of
> them.
> Dumb quotes are leftovers from typewriter technology, and they
> should
> NEVER be used in typeset documents. The problem is: before the
> digital
> revolution of the printing industry, people got properly trained how
> typeset a document. Now anyone can produce something that looks like
> typeset document. I had absolutely no training in typography, but
> when I
> set out to produce my own book for medical students, I quickly
> realized
> my deficiencies, so I took the time and studied several books about
> typography. If you do that, you get to know typographic tradition
> and
> you will be able to produce documents that look really professional.
> Of
> course you can break any of the typographical rules, if you want,
> but at
> least learn them! It sort of opens up your eyes: you will be able to
> tell, what's wrong with a document that doesn't look right. My
> suggestion is to everyone, who regularly uses Scribus to read a good
> book like: The elements of typographic style by Robert Bringhurst.
>
> 					Yours: Laszlo

I heartily agree with Laszlo.

This may sound a bit mean, but when I see typeset text with
typewriter quotes where curly quotes should be used, I immediately
identify the author or typesetter as a typographic idiot. If you're
going to use real type, USE IT RIGHT!

Curly quotes can be beautiful. They match the font, whereas
typewriter quotes don't.

Failure to use proper quotes is another example of how our culture
is becoming lazier and more careless. The attitute is spelling? Why
bother? They know what you mean. Grammar? Elitist.

There is enough ugliness in the world. Your typesetting doesn't have
to add to it.
--Judy M.
  USA

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard, Release Candidate 2