[scribus] Quotes.

Tornóci László torlasz at net.sote.hu
Sat Aug 6 19:12:13 UTC 2011

On 08/06/2011 07:23 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> I suppose if you want quote marks that curve from the top in toward the
> quote on both ends there is more than one keystroke on each end involved.  I
> totally eschew those marks as tedious and a bit old fashioned, but to each
> his own.  Using them would slightly complicate the matter by adding two more
> keystrokes.

Curly quotes are not 'old fashioned' at all. You see them rarely, but
that's because dumb quotes (these: ' and ") are used instead of them.
Dumb quotes are leftovers from typewriter technology, and they should
NEVER be used in typeset documents. The problem is: before the digital
revolution of the printing industry, people got properly trained how to
typeset a document. Now anyone can produce something that looks like a
typeset document. I had absolutely no training in typography, but when I
set out to produce my own book for medical students, I quickly realized
my deficiencies, so I took the time and studied several books about
typography. If you do that, you get to know typographic tradition and
you will be able to produce documents that look really professional. Of
course you can break any of the typographical rules, if you want, but at
least learn them! It sort of opens up your eyes: you will be able to
tell, what's wrong with a document that doesn't look right. My
suggestion is to everyone, who regularly uses Scribus to read a good
book like: The elements of typographic style by Robert Bringhurst.

					Yours: Laszlo