[scribus] PDF with table - letters appear in overfilled Word cell

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Fri Oct 29 11:29:43 CEST 2010

I'm receiving a time schedule for each month made up as PDF from a Word
table and insert it into a larger document in Scribus.

This month, I found that in one of the cells some letters appeared (only
about the lower third of them, looks like small dots and hooks). Asking
the maker of the table, she confirmed she had overfilled the cell and
missed to delete these letters.

But the strange thing is, the letters only appear in the inserted
version in Scribus and the PDF I made from Scribus for printing. They
are invisible in the original PDF which I received.

Do you have any explanation for this? Actually my understanding is that
a PDF inserted into a Scribus document should appear exactly the way it
appears when shown alone...

My reason for asking is that I fear there might be a more embarassing
case one day and how I can possibly avoid this.

Thanks for all hints!

Regards

Rolf