[scribus] Scripter and Preferences

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:17:39 CET 2010

Thanks for the answers... but... ;-)

Le 24/11/10 15:52, Gregory Pittman a écrit :
> On 11/24/2010 08:46 AM, Olivier BERTEN wrote:
>>
>> Question 1:
>> I'm thinking of something like configurable templates where the users
>> could adjust some measurements. It would be more efficient if the user
>> was presented these measures in its favorite unit... isn't it?
>> Is there a way to currently achieve this?
> Answer 1-1:
> There is no current value such as UNITS_DEFAULT in scripter, so you
> must work around this.
> Answer 1-2:
> Possible work arounds:
> a) use some arbitrary unit, let the user switch later (and give him a
> messageBox to remind him that the units are ...)
> b) set up a valueDialog to let the user choose units
> c) tell the user how to change the script to his liking to indicate
> his favorite units, then the rest of the script takes it from there,
> and he has his own customized script.
> d) create a family of scripts, such as template_points.py,
> template_mm.py, each of which does this for the user.
>
> Again, if you are going to make a script which can handle a variety of
> page units, these other tweaks are rather trivial by comparison.

These are of course trivial for the programmer. But they make the user
experience less smooth than what it could be. And this should be the
concern of any ui programmer imho...

>> Question 2:
>> I'd like to allow users to import swatches through SwatchBooker. Many
>> spot colors are defined in the Lab color space, which isn't available in
>> Scribus (yet). So I need to convert them to RGB or CMYK. Since Scribus
>> supports color management, it would be stupid not to take that in
>> account when converting...
>> Is this currently in the field of possible things through the scripter?
>>
> Answer 2-1:
> No, not currently possible
>
> Answer 2-2:
> There is work going on, outside of Scribus, to try to develop a
> cross-project color palette capability, incorporating swatchbooker
> among others.
>
> Answer 2-3:
> There is also work going on to incorporate more palettes into Scribus
> for a greater array of choices, currently a rather manual process.

But I guess you're not going to distribute Pantone's palettes anytime
soon... And since these are easily accessible on-line, it would be an
easy improvement for many people...

Good to know about that cross-project color palette capability though...
I'd be happy to know more about it since I don't get that much reaction
to SwatchBooker ;-)

Olivier