[scribus] Replacing Proprietary Software

nehal dattani nehal.dattani at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:55:09 CET 2010

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

> Could you give a little more information about what your workflow looks
> like?  What type of material do you need to prepare?  How is it currently
> stored?  Does the process need to be completely automated?

Workflow is as mentioned in draft of end-to-end publishing solution (Use
case #3). We are using our own CMS and then DTP softwares fetch data from
database (mysql) of this CMS. Then all pre-press activities are carried out
as per industry practice and requirements.

In my own experience, I've been using completely open source options for a
> while, and it's generally been positive.  But then, that includes other
> technologies (such as DocBook and LaTeX) in addition to Scribus.

i was thinking to use ascii document format which can be later converted in
pdf. What is your opinion on this?

> There are a variety of open source publishing tools, but in order to
> provide
> better recommendations, it is necessary to understand what you are trying
> accomplish.  The workflow for a catalog can be quite different than that
> for
> program documentation.

I am trying to replace a proprietary software,which is well integrated  in
existing environment and is a major block for migration to linux on our
desktops.
If you need further details,please tell me.