[scribus] Replacing Proprietary Software

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Nov 16 04:42:25 CET 2010

On Monday 15 November 2010 13:55:09 nehal dattani wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thank you very much for your quick reply.
>
> > Could you give a little more information about what your workflow
> > looks like?  What type of material do you need to prepare?  How
> > is it currently stored?  Does the process need to be completely
> > automated?
>
> Workflow is as mentioned in draft of end-to-end publishing solution
> (Use case #3). We are using our own CMS and then DTP softwares
> fetch data from database (mysql) of this CMS. Then all pre-press
> activities are carried out as per industry practice and
> requirements.
>
> In my own experience, I've been using completely open source
> options for a
>
> > while, and it's generally been positive.  But then, that includes
> > other technologies (such as DocBook and LaTeX) in addition to
> > Scribus.
>
> i was thinking to use ascii document format which can be later
> converted in pdf. What is your opinion on this?
>
> > There are a variety of open source publishing tools, but in order
> > to provide
> > better recommendations, it is necessary to understand what you
> > are trying to
> > accomplish.  The workflow for a catalog can be quite different
> > than that for
> > program documentation.
>
> I am trying to replace a proprietary software,which is well
> integrated  in existing environment and is a major block for
> migration to linux on our desktops.
> If you need further details,please tell me.
>
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rob Oakes

TeX comes in several varieties. The source documents are always in
plain text ascii (or ebcdic) format with tags inserted to indicate
formatting features.  You may want to examine pdftex, pdflatex (with
Memoir class) and Context. In the distant past I have generated TeX
source from an RDBMS and some perl programs. Scribus is WYSIWYG and is
not as adaptable for batch processing as TeX.

The nature of the documents is a critical piece of information.
--
John Culleton, Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus" $5.95 at

Free eps format barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/