[scribus] Problem with page numbers

Margaret and George McIntosh tenbear at myfairpoint.net
Thu Nov 11 00:18:35 CET 2010

On 10 Nov 2010 at 17:06, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:

> Matti,
> I just ran into the exact same difficulty with the same version.  My
> guess
> is you are using Ubuntu (me: Ubuntu 10.04) and installed using
> Ubuntu's
> installer.  I was told there were much more up to date versions
> available,
> but didn't want to upgrade in the middle of my first composition, a
> 60 page
> magazine.
>
> Anyway, I found my answer to by making two different master pages,
> one for
> pages 1 - 9 and another for pages 10 - 99.  Notice that in our
> version, one
> must put the appropriate number of page number marks (#) on the
> master
> pages.  Therefore, single digit master pages need one page number
> marks
> while two digit master pages need two page number marks.
>
> Check this URL for more info:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Pagination
>
> As to how you may have locked yourself out, I cannot say being a
> newbie,
> myself.  However, I found several problems solved by saving the file
> and
> closing it and then re-opening the same file.  A few other times, I
> actually
> rebooted Ubuntu but the problem may have been solved simply by
> closing and
> re-opening the file.
>
> Good luck with your project.
>
> John
>

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM, matti.huomanen at pp.inet.fi <
> matti.huomanen at pp.inet.fi> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm a new Scribus user and making my first work. I came across
> > problem
> > with page numbers. I have a fixed number on every page which I
> cannot get
> > rid
> > of. I've tried via Master page but I cannot select the text box
> where
> > the
> > number is. I may have locked it but cannot remember how I did it
> and how to
> > unlock it. I have also running page numbers as they should be so
> two
> > numbers on
> > each page look bad. I'm using version 1.3.3.14 and Windows XP
> >

> > Terveisin
> > Matti Huomanen
> > p. 040-7307008

If the frame was locked you can select it but not change it. You can unlock it in
Properties (F2) after you select the frame.
You could also have locked the layer, in that case use the Layers (F6) to unlock it.
Another reason you cannot select it may be that you have selected a different layer,
F6 again.

IMHO you would be better off using version 1.3.8. Page numbers do not require
different instructions if over 9.

George