[scribus] Upgrading of Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 6 14:56:52 CET 2010

On Saturday 06 November 2010 00:22:02 Ray wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> New to Linux OS and at almost 78 am finding the transition from win
> XP a little difficult.
> I have Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop with Scribus 1.3.3.13 installed.
> Also 1.3.8 NG
> I want to upgrade to 1.3.3.14. I have downloaded the file BUT how
> do I instal it?
> Synaptic Package Manager still only offers 1.3.3.13.dfsg-svn2 in
> its list for Scribus under the Graphics search.
> Version 1.3.3.14 appears with a file search on the laptop and it
> looks like I have unpacked it.
> I can't seem to access it however.
>
> Ned
Welcome youngster. I reached 78 last August.

Scribus versioning can be a bit confusing at first. There are three
separate lines of Scribus development. The oldest line ends with
1.3.3.14. No more development will be done on that line.

The current most active line began with 1.3.4 (no longer used) and is
currently at 1.3.8.  When it becomes "stable" the last product will be
renamed 1.4.0 and that will be the new "stable" version.

There is a "bleeding edge" development line currently called 1.5.0svn.
That is what I use. But don't worry about that.

If you have 1.3.8NG then you have a recent and fully featured version
of Scribus. I would use that and not fool with the 1.3.3.x line any
longer. Although 1.3.8  is technically not "stable" it is good enough
for every day use. However although 1.3.8 will handle files created by
1.3.3.13 the reverse is not possible.

Ubuntu is a Debian derivative designed for new users.   How quickly
Debian, Ubuntu etc. will catch up  when 1.4.0 is released is always a
question, which is why I compile from source. But you can get to that
later in your Linux career.
--
John Culleton, Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus" $5.95 at

Free eps format barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/