[scribus] Greek symbols

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 17:36:31 CET 2010

On 11/04/2010 11:29 AM, ehud.kaplan at gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, I am an old LaTeX/Lyx user. In fact, I wish Scribus could import
> Lyx files.
> BTW-- I find that the font quality of the resulting pdf is not great,
> unless I use the EXPERIMENTAL feature of embedding pdf & eps.

It's worth noting that you can directly enter Unicode values for any
glyphs that are supported by the font that you are using.
This works with either the Story Editor or Edit Contents mode.

Beginning with 1.3.5, the keyboard shortcut for entering Unicode values
is Ctrl+Shift+U, after which you type the 4-digit hex code, and for
example, this is 03b1 for lower case Greek alpha. If you find your way
to the Character Palette by way of Insert > Glyph, the Unicode value
will show in a tooltip on mouse over. Don't type the '0x' at the
beginning, just what comes after.

So if you make a list of the Greek and other glyphs you want to use with
their Unicodes, this makes for much quicker editing for small numbers of
these letters. It also allows you to play with Book vs Bold vs Italic vs
whatever style.

It would be nice to be able to easily use Search/Replace to replace some
private code (like \a for Greek alpha), but unfortunately, you cannot
enter a Unicode value in the Search/Replace dialog. It's a bit
cumbersome, but you can copy a glyph like Greek alpha, then paste it in
the Search/Replace dialog. Might be useful for a large number of glyphs
of a limited kind.

Greg