[scribus] Greek symbols

ehud.kaplan at gmail.com ehud.kaplan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:43:46 CET 2010

Thanks, Greg-- I have discovered some of that on my own.  In general, I
am comfortable with Latex for math and Greek symbols.
EK

On 11/04/2010 12:36 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 11:29 AM, ehud.kaplan at gmail.com wrote:
>> Yes, I am an old LaTeX/Lyx user. In fact, I wish Scribus could import
>> Lyx files.
>> BTW-- I find that the font quality of the resulting pdf is not great,
>> unless I use the EXPERIMENTAL feature of embedding pdf & eps.
>
> It's worth noting that you can directly enter Unicode values for any
> glyphs that are supported by the font that you are using.
> This works with either the Story Editor or Edit Contents mode.
>
> Beginning with 1.3.5, the keyboard shortcut for entering Unicode
> values is Ctrl+Shift+U, after which you type the 4-digit hex code, and
> for example, this is 03b1 for lower case Greek alpha. If you find your
> way to the Character Palette by way of Insert > Glyph, the Unicode
> value will show in a tooltip on mouse over. Don't type the '0x' at the
> beginning, just what comes after.
>
> So if you make a list of the Greek and other glyphs you want to use
> with their Unicodes, this makes for much quicker editing for small
> numbers of these letters. It also allows you to play with Book vs Bold
> vs Italic vs whatever style.
>
> It would be nice to be able to easily use Search/Replace to replace
> some private code (like \a for Greek alpha), but unfortunately, you
> cannot enter a Unicode value in the Search/Replace dialog. It's a bit
> cumbersome, but you can copy a glyph like Greek alpha, then paste it
> in the Search/Replace dialog. Might be useful for a large number of
> glyphs of a limited kind.
>
> Greg

Ehud Kaplan, Ph.D.
Jules and Doris Stein /Research to Prevent Blindness /Professor
*Director*, Center of Excellence for /Computational & System neuroscience,/
The Friedman Brain Institute, MSSM
*Director*, The laboratory of /Visual & Computational Neuroscience/
Depts. of Neuroscience, Ophthalmology, Chemical & Structural Biology
The Mount Sinai School of Medicine
One Gustave Levy Place
New York, NY, 10029