[scribus] Tiling an image

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 21:44:09 CET 2010

On 11/03/2010 04:11 PM, Bruce McIntyre wrote:
> Is it possible to tile an image in an object's background in Scribus?
>
> I have a wall display of teams in our local bridge league, a 3 inch high
> and about 40 inch wide strip printed on heavy cardstock for each team,
> showing match results and coming schedules for each team. As matches
> come in, I write the results directly on each strip and move the strips
> up and down as teams move up and down in the current standings. I used
> to use a different colour background for each team, but last year I had
> some success with perpetual textures. In MS Pub I was able to easily
> tile these backgrounds; in Scribus there does not appear to be an option
> to do so.
>
> The general idea can be gotten from this site:
>
> http://www.matchpointer.com/i_A_STA.htm
>
> ...although the wall display is a fair bit different in layout.

What you can now do in Scribus at least as of 1.3.8 is to use patterns
for various purposes, including the fill of a text frame.

Go to Edit > Patterns... and load an image (can be bitmap or vector) to
be used as a pattern. Then when you go to Properties > Colors, you can
use the pattern as a fill for a text frame, and still apply text to the
frame. If it is small, it will be automatically tiled to fill the frame.

Greg