[scribus] adding imposition tool to Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Nov 1 16:55:34 CET 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 07:27:08 Peter Nermander wrote:
> > One of the differences between MSWin philosophy and Linux
> > philosophy is that Linux, really a clone of Unix, depends
> > heavily on pipelines where a pipeline connects several
> > independent programs by a script. The above script is an example
> > of this. Windows users can do the same,
>
> Your script does not contain a single pipe from what I can see, it
> uses temporary intermediate files:)
>
> And I really think you should have a look at some of the PDF tools
> that are linked from the wiki page on imposition tools. For booklet
> imposition many of them are more than sufficient to replace
> psutils-based script. I have used both Multivalent Impose as well
> as Bookbinder, but I'd say jPDF Tweak looked very promising (what
> I missed at a quick try was a way to save and reuse your own
> impositions).
>
> > except that the bat file facility in Windows won't take
> > parameters in the same way that the above bash script does. So
> > the names of the files would have to be written in the bat file
> > explicitly.
>
> No, that is wrong. BAT-files can take arguments too.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/pro
> ddocs/en-us/percent.mspx?mfr=true
>
> /Peter

Thanks for the correction on bat files. I haven't used MSDOS much in
the last two decades. My main point is that not everything needs to be
loaded into Scribus. For example I never print from Scribus. I create
a PDF and print that instead from Adobe Acrobat Reader. If I need to
use Gimp on an image I do that in Gimp as a separate step. And if I
need to do imposition I do that external to Scribus, using simple
tools that are known to work.   Perhaps my work habits are tempered by
my mainframe background, where using intermediate files was a common,
indeed a necessary practice. If things go wrong one can examine the
intermediate files to see which step caused the problem.
--
John Culleton, Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus" $5.95 at

Free eps format barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/