[scribus] label type project questions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 15 07:34:44 CEST 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 21:16:26 -0700 (PDT)
Bill208 <repubo at gmail.com> dijo:

>* Similarly, can I bring names in and have them filled in like one
>would in a mail merge?
>
>I am not aware of that feature in Scribus. Rememer, it’s a desktop
>publishing program, not a word processor. You could try importing your
>finished document into a word processing program, create a text box
>over the space in your Scribus documents for information from your
>mail merge list and try to import the information to the text box. No
>guarantees that will work, but it may be worth a try.

Some layout applications have the ability to merge database data into a
text frame, but for those that do it is via a third-party utility that
usually costs a great deal. Scribus does not currently have the ability
to do a merge.

What I have always done in the past is to use my word processor
(OpenOffice.org) to merge the data into a text file, then place this
file into Scribus.

OpenOffice can apply styles to the different fields as they are merged,
and Scribus will see these styles when you import the text file. You
can define or edit the styles in Scribus to obtain exactly the layout
you want.