[scribus] Scribus fails to install after nightmare 15 days attempting to install

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri May 14 13:25:23 CEST 2010

hi  marcus,

> I installed Scribus on my old G4 laptop in 2007 without a hitch and
> flawlessly.
> Scribus was still going strong when a freak power surge in the
> community fried her.
> Three years later, installing Scribus has been a nightmare fifteen
> days of tracking down several obsolete Xcode versions dating from 1.1
> through to 2.4.1 at Apple.com/installing
> LillyPond/TeX/Pov-Ray/AquaTerm/Graphiz/Ghostwriter- also included in
> some other bundle somewhere etc etc.

you could have asked earlier :-)

and you only need scribus to install scribus: all the rest are optional
dependencies.

> It does a nice job 'initialising', 'checking on fonts' and then BOOM!
> it folds and disappears from my dock with no explanation. No
> indication whats wrong, where the problem or what the issue is and
> how to resolve it. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Any
> input appreciated.
>
>   Am working on an iMac running Mac OS X 4.11 ppc

you have to install it through fink. just choose scribus1.3.5svn (or
similar... it will show a version of 1.3.6)

the .dmg does not support os x 10.4.

have not tested scribus' fink on ppc, but it works on os x 10.4 on
intel.
you will need much time to compile qt 4 (not sure if fink has a pre
compiled version of it for ppc... you may try to first install qt and
than scribus to avoid installing from sources).

hth
a.l.e