[scribus] intellectual property

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 13:11:47 CET 2010

On 03/22/2010 05:17 AM, CLIVE CATTERALL wrote:
>> online. Books are handier than ring binders IMO.
>>
>> If/when an e-book version is made available I would suggest
>> a significant
>> price. A lot of people worked a lot of hours in putting the
>> book together.
>> They deserve some recompense.
>> --
>> John Culleton
>
> John
> I would agree entirely that the authors should be recompensed for their effort in putting the manual together.
>
> However, I find it an interesting sentiment to be aired on a list that has at times displayed a (sometimes bad-tempered) dislike of the whole idea of intellectual property.
>
> Now, as far as I can tell (as a named inventor - you can look me up on the european patents database) the patent system only benefits corporations, but how do we ensure that authors get adequate reward for their work witout copy rights?

Life is complicated. The process of getting a book out in print involves
making arrangements for a publisher (or maybe not), a printer to
physically make the books, a distribution channel like amazon, and each
of these will expect compensation for what they do. So it seems Ok for
these parties to make something out of this but not the authors...?

The book itself has a copyright which allows free use of the material in
it, the only restriction being that one is not allowed to take the
material and publish a book with it...seems reasonable to me.

Finally, anything I might have gotten out of the book is to go to the
Scribus project, which is my sense of giving back to the Scribus community.

Greg