[scribus] Coloured photo borders

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 17:36:33 CEST 2010

On 06/24/2010 08:57 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 08:43 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>>
>> Don't forget that you can assign some transparency to your shadow to
>> soften it a bit. I haven't played around with it, but I wonder if
>> something might be done with gradients or maybe even patterns in the
>> fill of the shadow object to give it a softer edge.
>>

> And so some brief playing around shows this as a possible strategy:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/File:Scribusmanual_Polynesia.png
>
> This is a shape under the image with a vertical gradient, a couple of
> black stops with white at the bottom edge, then transparency to the
> blacks (with each black stop possibly having its own setting).

Here is another quickie sort of example of what might be done. I'll make
a wiki page with some examples later.

This one was done by making a rectangle in Inkscape, then applying a
simple blur, then saving as a PNG (I'll try SVG later, but not sure if
it will work).

In Scribus, I then imported the PNG to an image frame, then saved as a
pattern (if an SVG can be imported successfully, you should be able to
use these as patterns also AFAIK), which I could then use as the fill of
an empty frame. You have a number of adjustments of the pattern that can
be made in the color tab, such as X/Y scaling, offsets, and transparency.

Not the best quality since I was in a hurry:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/File:Scribusmanual_Polynesia1.png

I might add that it helped to put this shadow on a layer underneath the
layer the image was on for ease of editing/playing.

Greg