[scribus] Transparent background for graphic

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jun 2 15:25:23 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 02 June 2010 03:02:09 a.l.e wrote:
> hi tom
>
> > I am a newbie who has had reasonable success with Scribus
so far but
> > am stumped as to how I can place a graphic with a white
background
> > over a colored background and have the color show through
and the
> > white disappear.
>
> you have to use an image with a transparent background not a
white one.

> you also have to make sure that the frame you put the image
into has a
> transparent background and not a white one (see the color tab in
the
> properties palette)
>
> > Publisher has a tool that accomplishes this, but I
> > can't find one in Scribus.
>
> you should have a more positive attitude towards scribus... :-)
>
> try to learn scribus, and don't just replicate what you are doing
in
> another app...
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

If you have an image with a white background already then edit it
in Gimp to remove the background.  In Gimp you select the white
color with the color picker and then go to colors->convert to alpha.
I find it easier to run Gimp outside of Scribus but your mileage
may vary.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press