[scribus] programming workflow

Robert Marma robert_marma at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 16:21:40 CEST 2010

Hi, everyone,

It's been awhile since I've bothered anyone in the group, but I had to jump in
to say "hello" and to comment about the "programming work

flow" issue that seems to have developed on this mailing list forum.  Please let
me preface the comments that follow with the statement that

I have NEVER programmed professionally, with the single exception of needing to
create a crude database program for subscribers to a land

information service that we offered about 15 years ago at my job, when I worked
as a civil servant.  The locally networked system that we

were using crashed--along with our subscriber data files--and we were forced to
continue maintaining records and to send out monthly renewal

notices manually, working from paper records.  This was an entirely intolerable
situation!!  Accordingly, I decided to take the initiative

and attempt to develop a very crude subscriber data base maintenance program
in--believe it or not--GWBASIC, for those old enough to remember

when that was still popular.  ;-)

Anyway, back to my point ...  While developing that program--as well as another
data base to keep track of my VHS video tape/DVD collection-

-I discovered that it was useful to first create a main menu before writing even
the first line of code.  This menu served as a logical guide

for creating the various program segments or modules that I would eventually
need.  Since the GWBASIC interpreter allowed only 60,300 KB of

usable memory workspace, you had to become very creative in order to maintain a
data file that could eventually grow in size to several

hundred or even several thousand KB in size--far beyond GWBASIC's default
workspace limit!  In my case, I developed separate modules that

could be chained in order to perform the various functions that I wanted the
program to have.  Always keeping this menu in mind as I wrote

the code, I would gradually, painstakingly fashion the application to include
all of this menu's options.  I never found the need to write a

user manual, guide, or any other documentation first, although I eventually did
write one for the video database program, primarily just to

see if I could do it.  I never had any intention of commercially distributing
any of my software.  Frankly, I realized that it was not that

good because of crude menus, very poor error trapping, etc.  However, it was
immensely satisfying for me to have even gotten as far as I did

--especially having written a program that was successfully used in a
professional environment for a number of years!

To summarize, IMHO, I don't believe that a manual is absolutely essential,
provided that you have some sort of logical diagram or--in my case

menu--to follow as you proceed to develop your application and add its various
features.  Another point I could make is that it's far easier

to change a menu if you decide to alter the program or to edit/delete/add
features than it is to alter what might be pages of a user manual,

especially if it includes screenshots and diagrams, as mine did.

Well, there you have it, for whatever it's worth.  Thanks for taking the time to
read it, and thank you all for taking the time to help

others like myself to navigate the sometimes windy, treacherous trails of
desktop publishing and to properly employ Scribus.

Regards to everyone,
Bob Marma