[scribus] selecting with ease and power

Ralf-Diether Ebel Ralf-Diether.Ebel at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 15:57:06 CET 2010

Am 2010-01-26 19:29, schrieb John Jason Jordan:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:41:39 +0000
> Sveinn í Felli<sveinki at nett.is>  dijo:
>
>> Þann þri 26.jan 2010 10:13, JLuc skrifaði:
>>>
>>> With some other DTP tools, ALL boxes
>>> that come across the selection rectangle are selected
>>> even if all sides are not completely inside the rectangle.
>>> Selecting lots of boxes requires just a little rectangle,
>>> giving a comfort and power feeling feedback to the user :-)
>
>> Then there is a neat selection 'feature' used in some CAD
>> applications (the biggest and most bloated):
>> Selection rectangle from left-to-right selects only those
>> objects completely 'surrounded' by the rectangle, and a
>> selection rectangle from right-to-left selects all objects
>> which are 'touched' by the rectangle area. The direction of
>> these selection methods is swappable.
>>
>> Would that be desireable in a DTP app ?
>
> I think that would be very confusing, especially for beginners. I can
> see the posts to the list coming already - "have I found a bug here?"
I would really welcome both sorts of selection. Usually in
CAD-Programms the different mode of selection is displayed via a
differnent linestyle of the selection rectangle. For ex.
Select only inside: full line.
Select crossing (what crosses the rectangle): use linestyle with space
(sorry, I miss the english name).
I really really beg to keep a selection-mode for everything which is
completely inside. This is often the (almost) only way to select
groups of objects which are partially behind others.

Greetings
Ralf