[scribus] undo of text editing in 1.3.5+

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Jan 25 21:29:59 CET 2010

hi k.

> <<
> (except for the well known fact that not every action can be undone).
>  >>
> Is it also filed as a bug ?
> Unless a user is warned their next action cannot be undone, every
> action should be undo-able?
> It may be a feature not yet implemented but in the overall usage of
> Scribus it is a bug??

it's not a bug, it's a missing feature.

for a long time, scribus didn't have any undo facilities. now it has an undo engine and, slowly, more and more parts of scribus are using it.

i've written a bug report asking to disable the undo for the 1.4 release candidates.
a user will have to manually enable it.

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8744

> <<
> Well, what I find frustrating is that if I am doing something by
> mistake (that can not be undone) and then tries to undo it, some older
> action gets undone.
>  >>
> Totally agree.
> The only help seems if you use the undo option from the top Edit menu
> option you are given a clue as to what it is undoing.
> But this may slow you down and in the case of inserting a text frame,
> then making several separate text changes and only be offered the
> undo option of "Undo: Create Text1" is not exactly helpful.

> Not being able to undo minor textual changes seems to be a
> significant missing feature if not intended and a bug if intended.

it's not implemented yet. it's planned but i don't think that it's worth to block the release of 1.4 until it's there.
by this thread i'm trying to get some feedback on what has to be done to make the only partial implementation as less scary as possible for new unexperienced users!

> <<
> I think that to help with this the undo should change focus to the
> undone item, so I can see what was undone (becuse it makes more sense
> to see what was undone than to see what was not undone).
>  >>

i've submitted it as a feature request...

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8745

have a peaceful evening
a.l.e