[scribus] Problem with PDF file not always opening

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Sun Feb 21 14:34:16 CET 2010

> I prepare it in Scribus 1.3.3.13svn on my Kubuntu 9.10 machine. When
> finished I export as a PDF. However because of the resulting size of
> the file I then transfer this to my Windows machine. Open with FoxIt
> PDF Reader and select Print to PDF Creator. By selecting 72 point (as
> recommended by Jluc) I get a nice viewable image AND a reduction of
> file size of about 75%. This is the file I publish.
>
> The majority of the people who get the file have no problem with it
> and neither do I testing across 3 Windows machines and two Linux
> machines BUT a significant number are reporting problems such as only
> the first page opening, program freezes, program takes several minutes
> to open each page etc etc!!
>
> Can anyone offer a solution for this?
>
> The only thing I wonder about is the PDF export version setting in
> Scribus. It is currently on 1.4 - should I try 1.3 at all???
You are re-exporting to PDF via PDFCreator.. so the PDF you are using is
not generated by Scribus at all (and hence any bugs or issues would be
generated by PDFCreator). If you are reducing image quality, why not do
this on the export from Scribus and see if you can get the file size
down there?

Craig